Wednesday, April 28, 2010

at least I crossed the finish line

Sorry this is way later than it should've been. So the race was last Saturday. It was my second 5K (the first being this past Thanksgiving). Results the first time was 37:41. Results this time was 34:54. A little better, but didn't hit my goal of 32 minutes.

To my surprise, I was pretty upset with myself. I think it's because I've been working on becoming a better runner since January and putting a lot of effort into it, but life happens and gets in the way of training. As we all know, consistency is key. I got really sick and didn't run for a week and a half in February, For a couple weeks in March I was home with my family when my great-grandmother got sick. And this month I sprained my foot and didn't run on it for two weeks. It's LIFE. It happens!

HOWEVER...the two martinis I had the night before the race did not just "happen" and was a choice. The wrong choice. Never ever ever again. I almost barfed my gatorade halfway through. After A MILE AND A HALF. Lame lame lame.

I was pretty sore all over after the race since I got so out of shape after my sprain, so I took off 3 days (of running). Today was my first day back on the mill and I decided to go back to week 4 of the couch to 5K. I used the podcasts. It got a little tough in the middle but I was able to really push it at the end. I think tomorrow I will crosstrain and then Friday do the week 4 workout again. If I feel like I'll be able to move on to the 8min and 5min intervals (now on 5min and 3min) then that will be Sunday. If not, I'll just do another day of week 4. I've always had a problem of rushing this because there are "soooo many people who can just run forever and it's not fair". Way to think like a 13 year old! It takes time and consistency. I want to do this right because I love running. I love the feeling. I love the feeling after I run. I love the changes that have happened to my body. I love that my heart is able to pump blood through my body much easier. I love that it has caused me to eat better since crappy food and running are not friends. EVERYTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment